Tuesday, March 26, 2013

When I was your age... I could save the world...




Well, at least a sea lion... or a forest... or homeless children.

When I was 5... I treated my stuffed animals to birthday parties. I couldn't step on a bug. I was enthralled with National Geographic magazine pictures of the world and all of it's beings. I knew then that I was just one breathing animal on this earth like so many. I felt connected and in tune.

When I was 10 I would take those stuffed animals out on treasure hunts. We would set up a camp and try to find gold. My Carebear got along just fine with the purple unicorn.  My cat was my best friend. I would go to the zoo and put my hand on the glass against the water in the polar bear exhibit and pretend I was in there too.... probably having tea with the big one. Because that is what polar bears like to do! I would get very upset when a neighbor dog was mistreated. I was overcome with sadness when a stray cat was hungry. Yes, I fed it... and yes it stayed. I felt connected and I felt I could make a difference.

When I was 15 I was consumed with research about the earth, about the oceans and forests and what us humans do to them.  I learned all about the treatment of animals who were born and bred purely for our food without a life to live of their own. I was disgusted and sad. I became determined to make a difference! I was connected with the world and so optimistic!

I'm not exactly sure where that positive momentum has gone but now and then that young whimsical child who is in touch with nature and life and all those creatures around her still pops up and begins to feel determined again.... I may not save an entire species with my own hands but I can still make a difference. Even if it's as simple as picking up litter in the park or educating the kids to love and respect the world they live in and all who share it with them equally, I suppose 5 year old me would be content with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment